Thursday, March 22, 2012

Searching for a title

Other than a way to find things later, or to locate humans that you wish to speak to, man's constant need for connection can be very tiring--everything needs a title, a label, a name, a humanness. And I know I'm not the first to complain or challenge this, look it up, people like me are usually filed under 'separation desirests'

“What is the name of that geranium on the window sill, please?”
“That’s the apple scented geranium.”
“Oh, I don’t mean that sort of a name. I mean just a name you gave it yourself. Didn’t you give it one then? May I call it–let me see–Bonny would do–may I call it Bonny while I’m here? Oh, do let me!”
“Goodness, I don’t care. But where on earth is the sense of naming a geranium?”
“Oh, I like things to have handles on them even if they are only geraniums. It makes them more like people.”
–L. M. Montgomery
Anne of Green Gables

No comments:

Post a Comment