Monday, March 22, 2010

Day Fifty-One


Is it a good thing that I know the difference between 'abusive,' and 'non-abusive'? There is a fine line you know. Let me give you an example:
Statement one:
I miss my family.
Statement two:
I want to go home, permanently.
Neither one of these seems abusive, however, if you are in a committed long-term relationship, one of these is hurtful, controlling, and well...abusive, and the other is reasonable, rational, and expressive. When we're away from our loved ones it's natural to miss them and we can deal with these feelings by sharing them with our partner. Open communication is desired and respected in a healthy relationship. Telling your partner that you want to leave, and permanently stay away, when you don't mean it, is threatening and destroys trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment